Brighton Digital Festival takes place throughout September in various venues across the city and is seeking a PR intern to help deliver the PR campaign and produce content about the Festival from June to September 2017. The role is a fully paid internship with a Brighton living wage salary, running from June to October 2017. The intern will be supported and managed by the team at Fugu PR.
Fugu is a public relations and communications consultancy, building brand awareness and managing reputations by generating media (digital and traditional media) conversations.
The role covers writing (blogging, press releases, features etc.), media management, media planning, client management, liaising with event organisers and partners, researching, database management and administration. Key responsibilities will include:
- Build media databases, keeping them updated (in excel)
- Identify new media opportunities (monitor media/papers/blogs for relevant contacts and building relationships with key writers)
- Online research
- Contacting key writers with relevant stories, explaining stories
- Distributing information to key figures (writers) quickly within their deadlines
- Provide support and content for Brighton Digital Festival social media channels
- Attend and make notes from meetings
- Attend some key Festival events and planning meetings
- Use media databases and online evaluation packages
- Write strong and clear copy within deadline, including blogs, press releases etc.
- Create, write up and complete campaign report
- Educated to degree level
- Excellent written English, including spelling and grammar – able to write short concise paragraphs to communicate a story/message
- Excellent telephone manner and communication skills
- Analytical/research skills
- Basic mathematical skills
- Computer literate, able to use essential Office software, Word and Excel in particular
- Excellent organisational skills – ability to plan diverse workload in diary and meet deadlines
- A self-starter – able to work on initiative, self-motivated and task focused
Other important personal skills:
- Self starter, pro-active, able to work on initiative
- Sociable/able to get on quickly with a diverse groups of people
- Able to work with a team, support and take instructions and meet deadlines
- Good overview/understanding and interest in local and national media outlets (papers, magazines, TV/radio and online)
- Interest in the arts and digital culture
- Good presentation – professional for client meetings
This is a perfect opportunity for an ambitious individual looking to build a career in communications/PR. Six to 18 months of experience of working in an office/media environment, preferably a communications or PR consultancy or journalism/marketing, is desirable (but not essential).
Key area: PR/marketing
Attendance: part-time 4 months (June to mid October 2017)
We offer an informal working environment in the heart of Brighton’s media and digital community.
How to apply:
Email CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 8 May.